Supo’s core duties
The Finnish Security and Intelligence Service (Supo) operates in Finland and abroad. Its mission is to ward off and combat the most serious threats to national security.
Supo produces intelligence information to support decision-making
- Supo’s duty is to produce forward-looking and relevant intelligence information to state leaders and partner authorities to support decision-making. Intelligence is often the only way to obtain information about new threats in advance.
- Intelligence is collected through operational work, national and international cooperation and open sources. Foresight is a vital step in intelligence analysis.
- Intelligence-based reports on phenomena relating to national security are produced for state
leadership and ministries to support decision-making. Supo also produces threat assessments for authorities, other police units, and occasionally also for companies performing critical security-of-supply functions.
Supo counters terrorism
Supo is responsible for counter-terrorism operations in Finland. Supo:
- conducts intelligence operations with a view to detecting and preventing the terrorist offences referred to in chapter 34a of the Criminal Code of Finland
- counters terrorist attack plots against Finland
- is responsible for exchanging international counter-terrorism intelligence
- serves as an operational specialist organisation in relation to terrorism
- develops, maintains and promotes national situational awareness related to the threat of terrorism
- monitors the nature of activities conducted by domestic extremist movements and assesses
whether these activities pose a threat to national security.
Supo counters espionage
Supo is tasked with countering foreign intelligence activities directed against Finland and preventing damage caused by them. Supo:
- counters illegal human intelligence and influence operations conducted by foreign powers against Finland
- counters espionage conducted by foreign powers against Finland on data networks
- prevents the dissemination or transit of technology, devices and expertise required for making weapons of mass destruction from or via Finland
- maintains situational awareness and reports on phenomena or projects that endanger Finland’s national security.
Supo grants security clearances
- Supo conducts all Finnish security clearance investigations, with the exception of investigations within the defence administration.
- The security clearance procedure seeks to prevent activities that endanger national security or significant private economic interests.
- Supo also conducts facility security clearance investigations, and issues opinions on citizenship and residence permit applications and other subjects.